Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Honey Lime Enchiladas

Prepare to be stunned by these enchiladas. 

They are knock-your-socks-off amazing. I first made them in college a few years back and my life has never been the same. 

I think the stars aligned when I decided to make them, because I found them on a random blog, and the picture did nothing for the dish. Still, the flavors sounded interesting, so I gave it a go. And when I took my first bite, it was true love. 

You know these are incredible because they were approved my my mexican-loving dad on his birthday this past year. My whole family was lucky enough to be together at the beach for his special day, and we all pitched in to throw him a little mexican fiesta. My sis made a yummy taco soup and I whipped up these enchiladas and a mexican salad. And my mom topped it all off with her famous cheesecake.


Dad loved these and I know you will too! The honey-lime flavor combined with green enchilada sauce is the stuff that dreams are made of.


One of these days I'll roll up my sleeves and make my own tortillas, but for now I use the most authentic mexican tortillas I can find in my local grocery store.

Honey Lime Enchiladas
Adapted from The Sisters Cafe

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 lbs chicken, cooked and shredded
  • 1/3 c honey
  • 1/4 c lime juice
  • 1 Tb chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce
  • equal parts of mozzarella cheese, shredded & cheddar cheese, shredded (I use about ¾ of each 8 oz block)
  • flour tortillas (8-10)
Start by shredding your blocks of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. It is so important to shred your own cheese in dishes like enchiladas when you want it to melt nicely. Mix together sauce ingredients (honey through garlic powder) and then add to shredded pork or chicken. Let the sauce soak into the meat for about 30 minutes, mixing around a couple of times to coat.

Lightly spray 1 or 2 pans with olive oil spray. You may need a 9 x 13 pan plus another small one, depending on how big you stuff your enchiladas.

Pour green enchilada sauce into pans to coat the entire bottom. Fill tortillas with shredded meat and desired amount of cheese. Roll and place seam side down in dish. Pour remainder of sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle more cheese on top. 



Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes on the middle or top rack. Then crank on your broiler and let them cook for another 2-5 minutes (watching to prevent burning) until cheese is slightly brown and crispy. 

Enjoy them with beans, mexican rice, a green salad, or taco soup!

Lover and I celebrated getting in-state tuition last weekend! (Hello cheaper medical school!) We splurged a little and treated ourself to an awesome evening at Bonefish Grill. Wowie was my steak and crab cake dish delicious. I need to figure out what was in that mystery dipping sauce. 






7 comments:

  1. Courtney, you are a genius. I can't wait to make these. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought I would like enchiladas, but these are fantastic! They will forever be in my dinner recipe rotation. Btw, your steak pic was mouth watering. Maybe we can go there next trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it! I'm so glad that you could branch out a bit Momma! YES I would love to go again soon--I know how to lure you to Charlottesville now--with a nice piece of meat!

      Delete
  3. That loks amazing! Nick loves enchiladas, and is ALWAYS asking me to make them. I've limited them to no more than once a month or we'd be eating them every day. Anyway, I'll have to try these next time. Thanks, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo does Gradon. And my dad. Must be a guy obsession! Hope you and your family enjoy them! I can't believe you're going to be a family of four soon! I've never even met your fam! Hopefully I can catch you in Baltimore sometime.

      Delete
  4. I am making these for Fiesta night on Friday with my girlfriends. Thanks for posting, keep it up! I love your site :)

    ReplyDelete