Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Puffed French Toast

Lover woke up sick this morning and wanted something gentle for dinner tonight. He'd been eating a lot of soup lately so we decided to mix it up and have breakfast! So I ran out to the grocery store to pick up some bread and eggs. We went a little over budget for my birthday vaca this month so got some cheap italian bread. But when I got home, I discovered that there was a fancy loaf of sourdough bread in with my groceries. I was shocked. I had never seen it before! I realized the grocer must have mistakenly put it in my cart.

I hesitantly opened it up and took a bite, and it was so incredible that I ended up using it for our french toast! I felt slightly guilty at first but Gradon assured me that they wouldn't put it back on the shelf if I took it back because it had been paid for, although not by me.

Truth be told, this french toast would be awesome with any old bread, but this lovely sourdough loaf took it over the top. In the past, I've made it with Texas Toast which is also wonderful.

You will come back to this gem time and time again! This french toast puffs up like a dream and tastes almost candied. You have to taste it to believe it!

 Cinnamon Sugar Puffed French Toast

Slightly adapted from Our Best Bites
Serves 6 with 2 slices (4 sliced halves) a person. I usually half the recipe if it's just the two of us. 
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ½ tbsp sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 ½ tsp baking powder
  • 12 slices texas toast bread (or your favorite variety) cut in half diagonally
  • Cinnamon Sugar
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
Heat about ¼ cup vegetable oil in a frying pan over low to medium heat.

In a pie plate or shallow bowl, whisk together your eggs, sugar, salt vanilla, milk, flour and baking powder until combined.

Test your oil by flicking a bit of water in the pan. If it pops like crazy, turn down the heat slightly. If almost nothing happens, crank it up a bit. If it sizzles, you're just right!

Working quickly, take each ½ slice of bread and soak it in the mixture, giving both sides a few seconds of soaking time. Gently shake to remove excess before placing in the pan. You can probably fit 4 halved slices comfortably in the pan. Cook until puffed and golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on both sides, depending on your heat level. Let them drain on a paper towel while cooking the next batch.

You may need to put more oil in the pan. Don't be stingy! Did I mention that this isn't your heart healthy every day french toast? Not that it's the most horrible thing for you in the world, but this recipe is special. Save it for birthdays, holidays or sick days when you need a little pick me up!

Roll each piece in cinnamon sugar. What is the perfect ratio of cinnamon and sugar? I'm glad you asked. I firmly believe that it's 3 tsps cinnamon for every 1/2 cup sugar.


If you want, you can put your oven on low (no higher than 200 degrees) and place your finished french toast slices there while you fry the others up. That way they'll stay nice and warm.
Serve with maple syrup and fresh, succulent strawberries if you have 'em! We also happened to have bacon on hand. It was a beautiful arrangement, I must say.


2 comments:

  1. Looks divine! Hope G is feeling better today. At the very least, he should be enjoying a sugar high. Forgot to tell you that you left your cute tablecloth here last visit. You can pick it up on Easter-Yeah! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Momma! Yes he slept in this morning and seems to be on the upswing. I intended to wash the tablecloth while I was home but ran out of time. Yes I'm very excited! Easter is just a hop skip and a jump away. I can't believe it. It was just Christmas!

      Delete