Sunday, April 1, 2012

Skillet Chicken Parmesan

For the longest time I thought I didn't like chicken parmesan. I tried it a few times in restaurants and it just never struck my fancy. Something about the combination of pasta sauce and chicken didn't quite make sense to me. My taste buds must have matured, because now I love it! 

The first time I made it, I was in love, and so was Gradon! He says my recipe is better than anything he's tasted in a restaurant. It's one of my favorite home-cooked meals because it's fast, incredibly flavorful and healthy too!

I like to serve it over a bed of whole grain spaghetti or penne, but you really don't need pasta. Just pair it with some fresh broccoli or a green salad if you'd like!

One serving is just 340 calories and 14 grams of fat. And it's all ready in about 30 minutes or so. Try this once and I guarantee it will become a go-to weeknight dinner that you can feel great about!

Skillet Chicken Parmesan

Nutritional Information: (1 Chicken Breast)

Calories: 340 | Carbs 13g (Sugar 1g) | Total Fat: 14g (Sat Fat 6g) | Protein: 39g | WW Points: 7

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp garlic salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 lb)(If you have 2 large breasts, simply cut in half)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ¾ cup marinara sauce
  • ¾ cup low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (buy in a block and shred it yourself, i'm begging you!)
Start out by shredding your mozzarella cheese. As mentioned in the ingredient list, please shred it yourself! I cannot stress enough how much better blocked cheese tastes and melts. Pre-shredded is okay in a pinch but is generally waxy and easily burnt. Try shredding it yourself once and you will never go back. It takes an extra minute and is infinitely worth it.

In a shallow bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic salt. In another shallow bowl, beat the egg until frothy.

Wrap the chicken breasts in plastic wrap and place on a cutting board. Pound each breast with a mallet/meat tenderizer to an even thickness (about ½ inch). Gradon always laughs when he sees me pounding chicken—it's a good way to get out your frustration!

Dip each chicken breast into the beaten egg to coat, and then roll in the breadcrumb mixture.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, checking underneath the breasts after about 2 minutes to make sure they're not burning. Cook until well browned and just cooked through.

Spoon an equal amount of marinara on top of each breast. Sprinkle with your lovely mozzarella cheese on top and cover the pan, reducing the heat to low. 
Cook for about 3 more minutes, or until the cheese melts. Mmmmm cheesy goodness awaits you!

No comments:

Post a Comment