Saturday, August 10, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake Skewers

Do you ever find yourself turning down invitations to potlucks because you're just too busy (or in my case lazy) to whip something up? I do! When I'm called upon to bring dessert last second, I get a little panicked because I don't want to disappoint with some questionable store bought cake from Kroger. I know, I know, silly right? But regardless, it's nice to have a simple, semi-homemade treats in your arsenal for times like this!



These Strawberry Shortcake Skewers totally saved the day a few weeks back when we were invited to a med school barbecue! I had to smile when everyone oohed and ahhed at something that requires exactly three ingredients and took me 15 minutes flat. This is hands down the easiest and most beautiful potluck treat I've made. I hope it becomes your new potluck go-to!



Strawberry Shortcake Skewers
Makes 12-15 large skewers

Ingredients
  • Store-bought angel food cake bundt (in bakery section)
  • Milk or White chocolate (melting discs, almond bark or chocolate chips)
  • Strawberries (one package)
  • Skewers

Slice angel food cake into cubes and set aside. Hull strawberries and slice in half. Skewer the cake and push it to the bottom of the skewer. Follow with a strawberry half and continue until you fill the skewer. (I had three of each on each skewer) Place skewers on a sheet of waxed paper.


Fill pastry bag or Ziploc bag half way or so with chocolate. Melt in the microwave in short intervals (30 seconds), smooshing the chocolate around with your fingers in between nukings until you reach the desired consistency. Return it to the microwave as needed. Snip a small hole in corner of the bag and drizzle chocolate over each skewer. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.

We've had some great summer fun with friends and family lately! While it certainly has its ups and downs, Gradon's schedule has been surprisingly manageable throughout these surgery rotations. We keep waiting for medical school to get really bad and scary, but so far we haven't seen it! Either Gradon is just a natural or we're just very blessed or both! The last few months have been filled with nature hikes, baseball games, county fairs, gardening, fireworks, date nights, homemade dinners and cookie baking. Here are some recent highlights!







No comments:

Post a Comment