Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Easy Cheesy Bacon Biscuits

August 19th marked our two year anniversary of wedded bliss! As you may expect, part of the celebration involved an elaborate man-pleasing meal. You know the kind—with steak, fancy potatoes, an elegant vegetable and Pillsbury biscuits from a can.

Yes, you heard the last part right. I spent so much time and energy figuring out how to cook a perfect steak, piping duchess potatoes through my dessert decorator pro, and wrapping the asparagus in bacon, that when it came time to think about bread, it was all I could do to pop open a can of biscuits.

Ok ok, it's true that I fried up a little bacon and shredded some cheese to go along with it, but I really took it easy on the bread, I did. And you would have never known it. Because these bacon cheddar biscuits were super delish. I dare you to try them in a pinch!

Start with TA DA, some Pillsbury biscuits. I like the big and buttery kind. Please don't buy generic—we're already cheating as it is gals. And guys. Are there any guys reading this?

Anyway. Here's your cast of characters.

Easy Cheesy Bacon Biscuits
Adapted from Picky Palate 

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • One roll refrigerated biscuit dough, 8 count
  • 6 thin slices fresh mozzarella
  • Crumbled bacon (5-8 slices)
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (please please shred yourself)
Rub some soften butter on the bottom of your cast iron skillet. Be generous! We're talking around 2 tablespoons-ish. Then pop open your can of biscuits and place them in the skillet. They should fit perfectly with a little room in between.

Preheat the oven to 350. Top with thin slices of fresh mozzarella (you can use shredded if needed), bacon crumbles and shredded cheddar. As always, buy it by the block and shred it yourself please. The difference is night and day! 

Then just stick them in your oven and bake for 15 or 20 minutes, until biscuits are cooked through and cheese is melted.

Since our anniversary fell on a Sunday, and we stay in on Sundays, Gradon whisked me away for a romantic dinner at the Ivy Inn on Saturday evening. I was so impressed that he found such an amazing place. We had a truly unforgettable night there! They really fussed over us—I couldn't believe how they mastered all of the tiny details. From customizing our menus to giving us complimentary appetizers and desserts, every little aspect was perfect. They even poured us complimentary champagne before we could tell them that we don't drink, and when we said so, our waiter mixed us up special non alcoholic strawberry daiquiris. My entree was a plate of humungous gnocchi with chicken and the most delectable sauce. Gradon got a monster steak, of course!






The whole dining experience was just over the top! I loved every minute. With full bellies, we wandered around the garden a bit and marveled at the huge rosemary and basil bushes. Then we headed home and watched the Hunger Games. Gradon got up early on Saturday and reserved it during the first couple of hours that it was available on Red Box. He knew I was dying to see it! We snagged it just before it went out of stock.

On Sunday, we broke out the china and had a lovely dinner. We opened presents too! Gradon got me some pretty Paula Deen oven to table bakeware that I've been wanting and I got him some UVA gear and compiled a photo book documenting our first year in Charlottesville. I always know I've succeeded in gift giving when he gets a little teary eyed. Oh boy, do I love that guy.






No comments:

Post a Comment